Spurs’ Son Stars in Replay to Book Place in FA Cup Fourth Round

Emirates FA Cup

January 20th

King Power Stadium, Leicester, England

leicester city 0-2 tottenham

39′ Son

66′ Chadli

Tottenham defeated Leicester City by two goals to nil to progress into the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup. The goals were scored either side of half-time by Heung-min Son, who also assisted for Nacer Chadli. The tie was played as a result of a stalemate between the two clubs at White Hart Lane, where a controversial late penalty denied the Foxes a place in the fourth round, however, thanks to tonight’s victory; it was the North London side that managed to go through.

Both sides started the game well in the early few exchanges with the home side having the game’s first opportunity when a Demarai Gray freekick was gathered by Michel Vorm.

The visitors had a chance when Heung-min Son’s cut-back found Christian Eriksen, but his first-time effort was always going wide after 12 minutes.

Ten minutes later, the visitors came close when Ben Davies shot over from-range, following a corner.

In the 27th minute, the Foxes came close when a Gökhan Inler freekick, which was heading towards the top-corner, was saved by Vorm.

Three minutes later, another Spurs corner found Davies, but like his first attempt, it was also off-target.

Davies was involved again four minutes later, when his cross was met by Erik Lamela, but his header was just too high.

A couple of minutes later, Tom Carroll had a shot from-range for the visitors, but it was wide.

The youngster was involved a few minutes later in a move which gave the Spurs the lead. His pass found Son, who curled his effort past Kasper Schmeichel, who was helpless at his near post.

son drive reuters
Heung-min Son drives Spurs ahead. Image from: Reuters
son reuters
Heung-min Son celebrates after putting Spurs in front. Image from: Reuters

Two minutes later, Leonardo Ulloa checked-inside before firing harmlessly wide from-range for the Foxes.

There was one additional minute played for stoppages in which a Tottenham corner came to nothing. That was the last action of the first half as the referee blew his whistle to bring the first 45 minutes to an end.

During the interval, the Foxes made their first change of the game, bringing on Shinji Okazaki for Danny Drinkwater.

The second period began with the Foxes dominating possession despite some Spurs pressure in the early few minutes.

Seven minutes into the restart, the Foxes almost found a leveler. Demarai Gray looked to curl an effort into the far corner, but Vorm managed to pull off a fine save, inadvertently pushing the ball away into the path of Nathan Dyer, but the on-loan Swansea midfielder miscued his effort on the stretch.

In the 60th minute, the visitors made their first change of the game, bringing on Harry Kane for Lamela.

A minute into his introduction, he came close to extending the visitors’ lead, forcing Schmeichel into a good save at his near post.

Immediately after, the home side made their second change of the game, bringing on Marc Albrighton for Danny Simpson.

A few moments later, the visitors did extend their lead. Goalscorer Son played-in Nacer Chadli, who slotted past Schmeichel to all-but settle the tie.

Nacer Chadli doubles Spurs’ lead. Image from: Getty

In the 72nd minute they almost made it three. Kane surged forward before forcing Schmeichel into another good save.

Minutes later, the visitors made their second change of the game, bringing on Josh Onomah for goalscorer Chadli. Soon after, the home side made their third and final change of the game, bringing on Jamie Vardy for Dyer.

In the 83rd minute, the visitors made their third and final change of the game bringing on Dele Alli for goalscorer Son.

A minute later, Gray came close for the home side when he cut-inside before unleashing an effort that was just too high.

In the 89th minute, the home side very nearly pulled one back. A brilliant cross from youngster Ben Chilwell was met on the volley by Albrighton, but Vorm somehow kept it out.

There were three added minutes for stoppages, and in the second of those, a long freekick was headed goalwards by Ulloa, but Vorm managed to tip it over. The resulting corner came to nothing.

That was the last action of the game as the referee blew his whistle to bring the game to an end.

The result meant that Tottenham progressed into the fourth round, and will travel to League One side Colchester United. The defeat for the Foxes meant that they bowed out of the competition.


Player Ratings


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.